I was recently inspired by this Matcha Vanilla Raw Vegan Cake recipe I found online for a friend’s Japanese-themed birthday party. I just modified the proportions and reduced the number of ingredients to suit my taste.
Because it’s mostly made from blended cashews, desiccated coconut, coconut milk, matcha green tea and honey, it’s super easy to make and is free from butter, refined sugar, cream and flour which you can get from traditional cheesecakes. The result: a luscious, healthy, satiating and creamy dessert that’s pretty much paleo, vegan and dairy-free!
Makes 1 cake (I used a medium sized spring form cake tin)
Prep time: 15 minutes + overnight soaking time
1-2 cups dessicated coconut
8 medjool dates, soaked for few minutes to soften
1 tsp vanilla
pinch sea salt
½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
Add in some coconut oil or olive oil if the mixture is too dry
- Blend all base ingredients together until dough-like and smooth.
- Line the cake tin with baking paper.
- Place base ingredients into tin, making sure the base layer is pushed down and packed firmly to create a thick, even base layer.
- Freeze the base for a few hours or overnight.
- Blend filling ingredients until creamy and smooth. If the matcha tea taste is too bitter for you, add more honey or coconut milk to your desired taste.
- Pour and spread into the cake tin. You now have the white base layer and the green matcha layer.
- Freeze cake overnight and enjoy the next day.
- Top with coconut yoghurt and sliced kiwifruit.