Image via Bannie Williams
Ah, the green smoothie. If you’re not yet converted, you might be interested in reading this post about how supremely good they are for you.
The above smoothie is one by holistic nutritionist, former model and founder of The Healthy Ingredient, Bannie Williams. Her smoothies and dishes are not only food porn, but clean, nutrient-rich and taste amazing (I get a serious case of food blogger envy looking at them!). Luckily, Bannie has kindly shared this one with me, as well as some insights into her favourite food and philosophies.
But first, the recipe:
Anti-oxidant Green Smoothie
1 handful fresh spinach
2 pieces frozen mango
1/4 an avocado
2 tbsp coconut yoghurt
Splash of almond milk
1 tsp maca
1 tbsp chia seeds
Blend until smooth and serve!
What are the top five ingredients always in your grocery list and why?
1. Avocados: I add it to everything, smoothies, salads, raw desserts!
2. Chia seeds: to add to smoothies and sprinkle over yoghurt for added protein and essential fatty acids.
3. Organic apples: I snack on apples all day every day.
4. Loving Earth raw organic chocolate: I have a sweet tooth and the raw salted caramel chocolate is just to die for.
5. Tahini: I slather tahini over everything possible. I love it on organic sourdough, as a salad dressing and with soba noodles.
How would you describe your healthy eating philosophy in three words?
Moderation, medicinal and delicious!
What is the one thing you want people to know about nutrition?
That basic health/nutrition it doesn’t need to be complicated. It’s as simple as listening to your body and consuming the macro/micro nutrients in moderation in order to nourish the body.
What got you interested in becoming a nutritionist?
When I started modelling I became fascinated with the concept of using healthy and nutritious food to nourish my body and help it look and feel the best it possibly could. Throughout my nutrition studies holistic and clean living became my life philosophy and there has been no turning back!
What’s your favourite quote / mantra you swear by?
Everything in balance and moderation 🙂
Bannie will be at Vitality’s nutrition stage giving advice on how to create a sustainable, healthy and balanced lifestyle. The show will run between October 10-12, 2014 in Sydney.
Hope to see you at the show!