As winter digs in, few things make life feel comforting and cosier than a bowl of nourishing soup. This recipe adds a delicious twist on a classic winter favourite. The bulb of garlic and curry powder adds depth of flavour and warmth and the shredded chicken makes this dish more than just a soup – it’s a satisfying meal that’s full of protein.
Pumpkin and sweet potatoes are rich in health-promoting compounds called carotenoids which give red, yellow and orange foods their vibrant colour. A well-known carotenoid beta-carotene, found in these root veggies, is then converted to vitamin A in the body, which helps maintain healthy mucous membranes, glowing skin and good vision.
Prep time: 1 hr 15 min
1/4 Japanese pumpkin, peeled and cut into think chunks
2 sweet potatoes, cut into think chunks
olive oil for baking and cooking
1 brown onion, chopped
1 tbsp peppercorns
2 cm ginger, sliced
1 bulb garlic, finely chopped
Water, freshly boiled, approx 6 cups
1/2 shredded BBQ chicken
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 pinch sea salt
1 teaspoon cumin seed powder
1. Roast the pumpkin and sweet potato with a thin coat of olive oil in the oven at 200C for 45-60 minutes until baked.
2. In a hot pan of olive oil, fry the onion, peppercorns, ginger and garlic for a few minutes until onions become soft. Set aside.
3. In a high-speed blender (I use Vitamix), combine the roasted veggies with the water and blend until smooth.
4. Add the shredded chicken to the veggies and mix well. Then add the sauteed ingredients, along with the curry powder and sea salt, until well combined.
5. Serve immediately with some cumin seed powder on top.