As winter digs in, few things make life feel comforting and cosier than a bowl of nourishing soup. This recipe adds a delicious twist on a classic winter favourite. The bulb of garlic and curry powder adds depth of flavour and warmth and the shredded chicken makes this dish more than just a soup – it’s a satisfying meal that’s full of protein.
Pumpkin and sweet potatoes are rich in health-promoting compounds called carotenoids which give red, yellow and orange foods their vibrant colour. A well-known carotenoid beta-carotene, found in these root veggies, is then converted to vitamin A in the body, which helps maintain healthy mucous membranes, glowing skin and good vision.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: Slow-cook for approx 3-4 hours
1/4 Japanese pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tbsp peppercorns
1 tbsp curry powder
1 pinch sea salt
2 cm ginger, sliced
1 tsp cumin seed powder
1/2 shredded BBQ chicken
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 bulb garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Water, approx 6 cups
1. Put all the ingredients (except the onion, garlic and oil) in a slow cooker with enough water covering all the ingredients. Set aside on low heat for about 3-4 hours until the veggies are soft.
2. In a hot pan of olive oil, fry the onion and garlic until well cooked. Set aside.
3. Once the veggies are soft, use a soup ladle to scoop out all the ingredients out of the slow cooker, leaving behind the liquid. Place the spiced veggies in a large bowl.
4. Add the shredded chicken to the veggies and mix well. Then add the onion and garlic.
5. In a blender, put as much of the soup ingredients as you can and blend until well combined. Repeat until all the ingredients have been well blended. The consistency should be thick and creamy.
6. Serve immediately with some cumin seed powder on top.
P.S If you love winter food as much as I do, you might like to try out my Thin and Crispy Sweet Potato Fritters. Yum!