Not only did it take me less than 20 minutes to make, it got normal cheesecake lovers wondering, “how do you make a cheesecake without the cheese or the cake?!”.
What I love about no-bake raw treats like this one is that you can go without cream, butter, flour and sugar and still satisfy your sweet tooth. Yep, dairy-free, gluten-free and refined sugar-free doesn’t mean you’re missing out on yummy food!
The base and filling is mostly made from cashews and shredded coconut, which means it is packed with energy, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins that are essential for thriving health.
Cashews are high in magnesium, an important mineral that helps both with the physical structure of our bones, easing muscle cramps, and spasms, lowering blood pressure, promoting normal sleep patterns and reducing the severity of asthma.
I’ve swapped out a few of Lee’s ingredients and changed some measurements to suit my taste. The result? An amazingly velvety and zesty cheesecake. No one would know it’s healthy!
Makes: 1 medium cheesecake
Prep time: 20 minutes + 4 hours soaking time
3/4 cup cashew nuts
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
4 soaked medjool dates
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup cashew nuts
3 tbsp coconut oil
Juice of 4 lemons and zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 soaked medjool dates
3 tbs coconut milk
1. Soak cashews in cold water for four hours (or overnight if you have more time for a silkier filling texture).
2. To make the base, place nuts and coconut in blender until finely chopped.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients- adding some filtered water if necessary.
4. Mould into a dough and then press into a 20 cm spring-form cake tin.
5. Place in freezer.
6. In a blender place all of the filling ingredients and blend until smooth.
7. Place the mixture into the base from freezer and smooth.
8. Place in freezer or fridge until set.
9. Top with shredded coconut and sliced lemons to serve.
P.S. If you like this recipe, you might also like my Raw Coconut, Lime and Strawberry Cheesecake.