As you can probably tell from a lot of the recipes from this blog, I love to make healthy versions of naughty treats. Some of which include my 5-Min Choc Avocado Mousse and Raw Coconut, Lime and Strawberry Cheesecake. This recipe is a protein-packed and decadently rich version of your traditional brownie recipe, without refined sugar, gluten and dairy. Just add more or less peanut butter or raw cacao powder depending on how nutty or chocolaty you like your brownies to be! I find that a lot of people who aren’t used to healthy treats need more sweetness so add in some raw honey to suit.
Makes: Approx. 15 balls
Prep time: 20 minutes
3/4 jar of natural crunchy peanut butter (I used Sanitarium)
5 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
10 Medjool dates
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped finely (or substitute with any other type of nuts you prefer)
1 pinch sea salt
3 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder to coat balls
1. Soak the Medjool dates in warm water for 5 minutes. It should be a caramel-like consistency afterwards.
2. Drain then deseed dates and put in a large bowl with all the ingredients
3. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Texture should be slightly sticky. Add a little warm water if it isn’t.
4. Roll the mixture into ping pong sized balls.
5. Then coat them in a bowl with the cacao powder.
6. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to a few days.