If you love Summer Roll and Bounty bars, you’ll enjoy these healthy bliss balls.
Serves: Approx 40 balls
Prep time: 30 minutes
500g Medjool dates
1 jar of natural smooth or crunchy peanut butter or any nut butter
1 cup chopped walnuts (preferably activated*)
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup raw cacao
1. Soak the dates in warm water for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, chop the walnuts finely and mix them together in a large bowl with the chia seeds and pumpkin seeds.
3. Drain the dates (they should be soft and caramel-like in texture). Deseed the dates and put them in the large bowl with the dry mixture of nuts and seeds.
4. Using your hands or wooden spoon, mix the dates and dry mixture together while gradually adding the peanut butter. Add as little or as much as you like depending on how nutty or fudgy in texture you like your bliss balls to be.
5. Add in 3/4 cup desiccated coconut and the cacao. Mix well.
6. Use your hands to mould the mixture into balls and then coat them with the remaining desiccated coconut.
7. Enjoy immediately or store in a seal-tight container in the fridge for up to a few days.
*Activate your nuts
To activate your nuts, soak them overnight in water in a tightly lidded jar or container. By doing this, you’re reducing the toxic substances and inhibitors (aka anti-nutrients) that occur naturally within its outer coating. For example, phytic acid (found in most nuts, seeds and grains) will combine with minerals in the body, such as calcium, zinc and magnesium, and prevent them from being absorbed during digestion. Soaking them neutralises their effect.